[mythtv-users] Best settings for transcoding HD content to save space?

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Wed May 14 13:53:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> [snip]

> Because it's not really that cheap and doesn't perceptibly reduce quality.
>
> I just ordered a new disk which, after being installed, will take my
> backend up to around 13TB including space for all types of files
> (recordings, video ripped from optical disks, audio, photos, and home
> movies).  It fills up fast.  Using that space more efficiently is
> definitely attractive.
>
> But for me, it really is mostly about compatibility with portable devices.

Boy does it ever fill up fast. Added a 2TB at Xmas and we're already at
240gb free. Of course so much space makes one keep thinking they can put
things off, so we've got about 400gb of Dr. Oz the missus needs to check
out for me to edit down to needed segments or delete altogether.

Of course I can always put a new 2TB (or 4TB) on the wishlist for next
Xmas. But maybe I want an HDHR4....Santa!