[mythtv-users] Forum reminder and feature requests

Nicolas Krzywinski myth at site7even.de
Mon May 12 18:02:14 UTC 2014

Am 12.05.2014, 18:05 Uhr, schrieb Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>:

> On Mon, 2014-05-12 at 17:48 +0930, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>
>> How is that any different to receive 100s of emails that won't read
>> anyway,
>
> S:N.  I can look through 100 e-mails, even in lots of different threads
> (similar to thread "topics"), way, way more quickly than I can click
> through the many pages and topics that trying to read 100 messages would
> consume in a forum.
>
>> only to delete them all at once because the task to read the
>> outstanding one has become too big.
>
> I might actually at least try to skim 100 e-mails.  I will absolutely
> not click my mouse a few hundred times and scroll the wheel (due to the
> low information density of forum pages) a zillion times to try to read
> 100 forum messages.

The advantage is that you don't have to read each forum thread, because it is enough to read the titles. Furthermore you only have to read the titles of threads containing new posts within the subforums you are interested in.

On the contrary, this mailing list spams on me additionally with all the topics I don't care or I don't know nothing about - and this all goes on each device!! (main desktop, mobile phone, 2 tablets) which sucks the batteries empty ... this is not good.

And btw. does it depend on the forum if its possible to subscribe to everything - which then sends emails to you with the complete content of new posts. Then you would have an identical behavior to mailing lists - but not everyone is forced to receive everything.

In my eyes the difference in those preferences derives exactly from those deviating requirements: the need to monitor _all_ or the interest in particular topics.

Forums in principle have the power to serve both requirements.
Mailing lists can be used similar, but with huge additional management overhead (create mailing lists for each subtopics).

Nicolas

--
www.nskcomputing.de