[mythtv-users] Show matching two searches not recorded

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:48:01 UTC 2014

Hoi Michael,

Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 5:40:23 PM, you wrote:

> On 05/06/2014 11:15 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Gary,
>>
>> Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 5:02:10 PM, you wrote:

>>> Actually, I think that if the "most specific match" should be applied.
>>> But I am not sure anyone has determined which matches are
>>> considered most specific (and while *I* would say title is more
>>> specific than category, I suspect some might disagree; I guess
>>> for ultimate flexibility, you need a table to order the specificity
>>> criteria).
>>> My solution is just try to have enough tuners so that only the
>>> really occasional condition results in having to choose what not
>>> to record, although I understand that that is not always a viable
>>> alternative.
>> I agree specific should always override generic.

> We do something like this with "normal" rules (such that a single
> episode rule will override all episode rules and similar).  However,
> when it comes to Custom/Power Recording Rules, it's hard to say whether
> it is or is not more specific than a title-based rule.  For example, if
> the rule used the SQL:

> program.title = 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey'

> it would be identical to a "normal" title-based rule.  If the rule used
> the SQL:

> program.seriesid = 'EP01446110'

> it's actually more specific than a title match (as it will only match
> the current series, even if another, future series is ever created with
> the same title--think "Battlestar Galactica").  And, similarly, if it
> used the SQL:

> program.title = 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' AND
> program.subtitle LIKE '%Earth%'

> it's once again more specific.  And there are many more examples of
> very-specific custom rule SQL that exist in the real world.

>>   It's implied in the
>> meaning of the words. And it should be logical that the highest
>> priority rules would be applied first in any match search not a random
>> order of creation!

> First, order of creation is not random--it's user controllable by
> deleting and re-creating rules.

> Second, did you read the posts with the argument against using the rule
> whose priority is highest (which I posted shortly before your post, so
> you may not have seen it)?  The argument does make a lot of sense.  A
> user who changes the priority of a recording rule and sees no effect on
> the schedule will likely be /very/ confused versus a user who sees, "Oh,
> this really cool show isn't going to record, so I need to force a record
> with a single-record override rule," and is able to work around the
> issue without any specific knowledge of the internals of the scheduler.
> And this doesn't even mention the fact that changing the priority of
> rule affects not only that show, but also the results of scheduling of
> other shows that air around the same time as that show (so forcing a
> user to change the priority of a rule to make it win over another rule
> [...]

If I think about the difference between specific and generic I think a
simple rule of thump would cover most instances:
1 You have rules created of the EPG data, which should be considered
  specific.
2 You have hand made (SQL) rules which I think are most of the time
  generic.
3 You have the manual override rules which go highest.

That makes me wonder how the 3rd group is prioritised. Is it just
because the are newest or do they get a special high override priority?

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop