[mythtv-users] Video breaking up after installing new video card

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat May 3 09:51:02 UTC 2014

On 03/05/14 09:44, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 03/05/14 01:34, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>     If the signal is split by a size appropriate splitter and fed to each
>>     device then your TV sets are being truthful, if however you are using
>>     daisy chain splitters, a two way going to a TV and another two way
>> and
>>     to two tuner cards, or some such setup then your TV will lie to you.
>>      >

>> Thanks Daryl, I'm not sure I understood what you said. So I'll describe
>> my set up (hope this little ASCII diagram works OK!):
>>
>> Antenna --
>> | --> TV1 (picture quality good)
>> |
>> | --> TV2 (picture quality good)
>> | --> Cheap $5 splitter
>>                | --> HD Homerun (2 tuners) --> 1Gb switch --> Mythbackend
>>                | --> PCI Card --> Mythbackend
>>
>> Does that make sense? If you still think it's a signal strength issue is
>> there any way I can verify that? And if I need to get a booster, are
>> there different types which are better than others? E.g. do some install
>> at the antenna vs others install at the wall outlet?
>>

> It certainly sounds like a signal-strength issue; the best way to solve
> it will depend on the layout of your cables in-house. Put
> splitters/boosters only at points where the signal is known to be good,
> and at the first accessible point after the antenna.  Perhaps you could
> test by removing the TVs and the splitter feeding them - assuming that
> there is a splitter; or you could just fit a booster before it in the
> antenna lead.

Having said all this, I suppose your diagram really implies that you are
using TV sockets installed in different rooms, with the antenna cable
somehow 'plumbed in'.  It could be worth trying a simple booster between
the socket feeding the Mythbox and its splitter; but that's getting a
bit marginal.

Or it might be disk access....