[mythtv-users] Video breaking up after installing new video card

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat May 3 08:52:42 UTC 2014

On 03/05/14 00:45, Phill Edwards wrote:

> I'm using a HD Homerun with DVB-T broadcasts. Recently I also installed a
> DVB-T PCI card to get more simultaneous recordings. Is the problem more
> likely to be signal strength or I/O bottleneck? I guess signal strength can
> be fixed with some sort of boost device, but an I/O bottleneck would mean
> buying faster disks.

No! To fix an I/O bottleneck you may require *more* disks, not faster ones. This
reduces head thrashing while attempting to record/play more than one stream at a
time. (To my mind, the ideal is: # disks == max # tuner streams.)

Having said that, if the bottleneck is in the motherboard chipset or OS disk
caching, more or faster disks won't help. You'll need to analyse exactly *what*
the problem is before you start spending money on the wrong solution.

--

Mike Perkins