[mythtv-users] Video breaking up after installing new video card

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri May 2 23:49:19 UTC 2014

> > 2) My video goes very blocky and smashes the picture up. When this
>> happens the audio also disappears. It happens quite a lot (many times per
>> recording).
>> >
>> > What is the best way of fixing this? Do you just have to try lots of
>> different playback profile and interlace settings until you find one that
>> works? Or is there a more scientific way?
>> >

>>  > #2 sounds like a signal strength issue, I needed better coax
>> connectors to resolve this in my system.
>> >

> Thanks, I think you're right. I copied the file to a PC and played it on
> there and got similar results.
>
> I'm using a HD Homerun with DVB-T broadcasts. Recently I also installed a
> DVB-T PCI card to get more simultaneous recordings. Is the problem more
> likely to be signal strength or I/O bottleneck? I guess signal strength can
> be fixed with some sort of boost device, but an I/O bottleneck would mean
> buying faster disks.

BTW, I should point out a couple of other things here:
1) My setup is a virtualised Mythbuntu backend on vmWare and the disk it
uses is NFS.
2) The TVs in the house don't seem to have signal issues (which is why I
now think this may be I/O rather than signal strength, but happy to be told
otherwise).