[mythtv-users] Slave backend time sync problem after DST change

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Mar 31 21:10:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hoi Eric,
>
> Monday, March 31, 2014, 4:13:20 PM, you wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:25 AM, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:
> >> Current time on the master backend differs by 3600 seconds from time on
> this
> >> system. Exiting
> >>
> >> The 3600 tells it all.  I'm pretty sure the system worked last summer
> and no
> >> problems then or when we went off DST, but this transition buggered
> things
> >> up.
>
> > Do you have your system to configured to store local time or UTC in
> > the hardware (BIOS) clock?
>
> > Unless you're dual booting with an operating system that requires a
> > localtime hardware clock, you should use a UTC time in hardware.  That
> > will minimize problems such as these.
>
> > Eric
>

> You should also check your timezone configuration. If the slave is set
> to a generic zone (+/- ** GMT) it might not know about daylight
> saving. You should find your defined timezone in /etc/timezone. You can
> also have a simlink /etc/localtime to the right zone information in
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/. There you find a directory structure by
> continent/country/city.

Note that the use of a symlink is officially discouraged because /usr may
not be mounted at boot. The party line is to copy the file instead. For
most people, though, a symlink is easy (and will automatically pick up any
updates to /usr/share/zoneinfo). Note that Gentoo will automatically copy
the correct timezone data to /etc/localtime, provided you have
/etc/timezone set correctly.

Karl