[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime questions

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 04:09:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Phil Staub <phil at staub.us> wrote:
> Given that I can tune MOST channels without a Tuning Adapter, is it likely
> that I need one? In other words, do I only need the tuning adapter for
> channels like FX, SPIKE, USA, CNBC, NBC Sports, TV Land, etc.?

That is exactly how a tuning adapter works.  Some set of channels
have (mostly) permanent assignments and would work all the time,
and some are dynamic.  Which are which depend on the cable
company.  Typically the basic basic channels do not use SDV,
and the enhanced or expanded channels may.

Call the Cox office, and ask if you need a tuning adapter (or the
franchise uses SDV aka Switch Digital Video) for use with your
TiVo (just lie here for simplicity.  They have all heard of TiVo,
not all have heard of the SiliconDust HDHomeRun) to receive
your extended channels.  If they say yes (in and Las Vegas, I
believe they will), you need a tuning adapter.

Here is the Cox page that references the tuning adapter self
install kit, and says Las Vegas needs tuning adapters:

  http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=32912b10-ea63-11de-f523-000000000000