[mythtv-users] Minimize frontend?

diespambox at gmx.net diespambox at gmx.net
Mon Jun 30 04:52:03 UTC 2014

Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Mythtv-frontend on Ubuntu 12.04. This particular FE is in my
> garage and serves as a media player with things like Spotify, Pithos and
> Plex installed. One of the annoyances is that the Myth FE lives in a
> fullscreen all the time mode, so the only way to get to to other apps is
> via alt-tab. This is made more cumbersome by the fact that some of my
> fellow shadetree mechanics are not the computing genius that I am.
>
> I know that Plex will let me switch to windowed mode via the \ button and
> it can then be minimized. This is not ideal but is a step in the right
> direction. I was wondering if there was a way I could minimize MythTV via a
> hotkey or some sort of key combination?

Hi,
is there any need for those other programs to run all the time? You
could use a custom menu entry in your mythfrontend to start
those tools as you need them. See EXEC:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide#Helpful_Tips

You may also be able to run a script which brings a window into front,
a tool like wmctrl might be useful for such a task.

Tobi