[mythtv-users] Upgrade from 0.26 to 0.27 broke firewire

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Thu Jun 26 03:01:08 UTC 2014

I have a master BE/FE system that's never missed a show in several years
until I upgraded my system.  I went from Fedora 17 to Fedora 20, which
upgraded Myth from 0.26 to 0.27.  The firewire of F17 was already the
newer "juju"  drivers, reference at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire,
but it's hard to say what else might have "upgraded".

It works for quite some time before crapping out (log starts filling
with "LinuxController recorders/linuxfirewiredevice.cpp:646 (run) -
LFireDev(0023A3FFFE4EDD2A): No Input in 50 msec..."
then 100 msec, then 150 msec, etc, until "ResetBus" then it starts over
at 50 msec).  Today it recorded a one-hour show, then a half-hour show,
then crapped out 10 minutes into the second half-hour show.  This is
typical.  Some times it craps out early in the first show.  Once it even
got all three one day, then crapped out the next day.  Once it craps
out, I have to restart the backend.  Whatever that does, it makes it
work again for a while. I've watched hours of "Live" TV over the
firewire and it never crapped.  Only on scheduled shows, usually near
the beginning of a show.

Why can't Myth "reset" the connection the way restarting the backend
does?  (that's a bit rhetorical, since it shouldn't need to if it worked
like 0.26 did, but still...)

It was set to p_to_p, but firewire_tester couldn't get a single run that
way, but it worked without error (no matter how many runs I tried) in
broadcast mode, so I changed mythtvsetup to broadcast.  No joy.  I've
tried different speeds, but no luck.  It seems 100 mbps works better
than 200 or 400.  I haven't tried anything lower (will it even go
lower?).  I tried 10000 tries with firewire_tester -b (redirected
output) and no errors.

I'm looking for advice (other than "get a cable card").  Something has
changed, and not for the better.

Dave D.