[mythtv-users] vdr and mythv

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Tue Jun 17 20:35:30 UTC 2014

Mike Perkins wrote:

> On 17/06/14 07:03, Per Jessen wrote:
>

>> Some channels do broadcast in multiple languages - that's pretty
>> common in Switzerland for instance.  However, removing channels I
>> don't want is a hassle - I have some 4000 channels I think, most of
>> which I don't want.
>>
> Then you tackle the problem the other way. Use a simple SQL query to
> 'hide' all the channels and then go through and 'unhide' just the ones
> you are interested in.

I've got our channels grouped into English, German and Swiss, perhaps
the scheduler shouldn't even look at ungroup channels?

I know there are a few work-arounds for this issue, but Richard Hulme
asked what shortcomings mythtv might have, and the inability to specify
one or more desired languages when recording is a shortcoming, IMHO.
As Angela Schmid writes, the feature is available in vdr.

> This has a side benefit that the scheduler doesn't have to plough
> through quantities of channels you're never going to record from.

It hasn't caused any problems since I began with mythtv in late 2012,
but yes, it would no doubt improve scheduler performance.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.9°C)