[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:31:50 UTC 2014

> I don't trash any particular brand of HD, different batches have different
> failure rates. I think if you are running WD green  on a Windows box you
> should have no problem,

I highly doubt the OS choice makes a difference. Although raid can
play a part. There are drives that do not work well in raid. Possibly
because of the increased vibrations.

> I have a 6 Hitachi 320GB disks with a 50% failure
> rate within 2 years. Returned under warranty they sent back a different
> model and those have been rock solid.

Although the expectation is ballpark 2% to 10% of your drives should
fail each year (for the 5 year expected lifetime of a drive) bad luck
plays a part.

> I am a ZFS on Linux user and a lot of
> the really smart people

Smart people don't always think about statistics. I mean that unless
you have a reasonable sample size all you can give is anecdotal
evidence. In the grand scheme of things this evidence is pretty
meaning less when describing a population of millions.

John