[mythtv-users] streaming music to MythFE

Nicolas Krzywinski myth at site7even.de
Tue Jul 22 17:40:37 UTC 2014

Hello Brian,

as MythFE does not provide upnp renderer functionality, I simply installed rygel with plugin rygel-playbin on my Mythbuntu box.
Via XFCE I was able to let rygel start automatically at system startup.

Then you can play on this upnp renderer via any upnp controller, using an upnp server as media source. For the latter you can use Myth (FE or BE? not sure, both on same machine...), as it acts as upnp server.

Currently I am still unsure whether to proceed UPnP Monkey on android as upnp controller as it is not perfect ... but it works.

Conflicting behaviour of using the audio output on my myth box is interesting:
1) start music via upnp -> mythbox starts to play
2) start tv via MythFE -> mythbox stops music and plays the television audio
3) stop tv via MythFE -> mythbo stops television and proceeds playing the music

Though the music was just kind of muted and not paused, this is working ok for me.

But don't forget to care for your upnp controller when playing around with your android device while your girlfriend is watching tv!
It happened to me that I accidently started upnp music on the mythbox and this started to play as soon as my girlfriend stopped tv :D :D ..... I was out of the room at that time, hearing s. th. like "babe!!! there is music coming from somewhere suddenly!!" - I instantly knew what happened ... ;-)

Good luck,
Nicolas

--
www.nskcomputing.de