[mythtv-users] OT: Does 1080p work over a wireless link between STB and TV

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sat Jul 5 15:21:38 UTC 2014

On 07/05/2014 03:55 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>
>> I've always heard that you should do this, but if you aren't running
>> the wire though conduit then how can you pull a wire thought the
>> walls? Are you talking about short runs or very straight runs? I
>> imagine the first corner you hit you are screwed.
>
> Yes, straight pulls !
> It really all depends on your building construction. I've been brought up in houses with timber joists and wood floor boards - so trivial to lift floorboards and run cables downwards (or lift floorboards upstairs if you want to go up - such as for light switches). Of course, lifting a single plank of floor is fairly easy - but these days the ***** developers use large sheets of chipboard which are a right b***ard to lift, especially where they've laid the whole floor and then put studwork walls on top. If you have concrete floors then going down is out, and if you don't own upstairs then going up is harder - you end up having to cut holes in the ceiling and patch them up afterwards.
> There's no one way, it all depends on your construction.
>
> It's one of those things that electricians learn by experience, the long list of tricks and techniques for getting cables in - it's hard to teach in a classroom !
>
> But it does reinforce that when stuffing cables in, it is a good idea to think about "how will I replace/add to this cable if I need to/technology changes ?"

Very true, but too late to help in this case.

The house in question is over 100 years old, and the specific wall is the
load-carrying one in the middle of the house. The cable routing was not easy,
and pulling a new cable is not possible without opening several holes in the dry
wall that has been added since the original cable was installed.

The repair of the broken connector was already tried without success.

It seems that no one on this list has any actual experience with these wireless
devices. The specific one being tried is
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00630WKGI/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item. When the
device arrives and is tested, I will report back on how well it functions.

Larry