[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a stable backend

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 03:14:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 2:42 AM, EJS <ejshoor at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Would upgrading myth or the os make any difference?  I am willing to buy new
> hardware if its needed, but I'd hate buy new components if the problem is
> really in the software.

These types of problems (random kernel crashes/hangs) are
often hardware.

You need to decide if it is worth debugging the hardware,
or you simply wish to replace everything other than the
power cord (and maybe that, just to be sure).

For "consumer" devices, which do not have hardware
logging, one often has to take a "guess" as to the cause,
but the most likely issues tend to be (in no particular order):

* The fans.
  - If the fans are not working, things overheat, and
    "random stuff" can happen.  Make sure all the
    fans are spinning, and there are no obstructions
    in the air channels.  Dust bunnies are your
    enemy.  Use a pressurized air cleaner to get
    all the dust out from the nooks and crannies.

* The power supply
  - Most consumers do not have the equipment to
    properly test these (those cheap $25 load testers
    do not properly test the PS), but a swap from another
    system (or use your on-site spare) can be
    performed for testing.

* The motherboard (caps)
  - Look inside (remove dust bunnies), and see if
    any of the caps on the motherboard are bulging.
    If so, the motherboard is toast (well, you can
    replace the caps if you have the expertice and
    the equipment, but few have a good metcal
    de-soldering station).

* The dram
   - Run memtest86+ for at least a day (after
     doing the previous tests) and if one sees
     any errors, replace the dram.