[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a stable backend

EJS ejshoor at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 02:42:17 UTC 2014

Hi there,

My backend works but it just isn't very stable.  It experiences two types of crashes relatively frequently (one every other day or so).  The first one is  a kernel dump that typically occurs when both of my tuners are recording at the same time- although not always.  The second type occurs when the whole box just freezes and won't respond to any keyboard/mouse input.  This one doesn't seem to be related to recording.

I had taken the kernel dump problem as far as I could.  It seems to have been introduced on 12.04, but i haven't seen any resolutions.  The second problem doesn't write anything to the log files so I am not sure how to even begin to debug.

In any case, I'd love some suggestions or recommendations for a rock solid system.  Here is my current configuration:
Motherboard:GA-73PVM-S2H/GA-73PVM-S2H
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33Ghz
Ram: 2GB
Tuners: 2  HVR-1250
Mythbuntu 12.04
Linux version 3.2.0-33-generic

mythbackend version: fixes/0.26 [v0.26.0-42-g10479af]

The backend also runs a SD front end that I use on occasion, but it mainly drives 2 zotac zbox HD frontends. I record perhaps 5-7 shows a week mostly HD QAM. I assume that this isn't considered very heavy usage.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is my hardware appropriate what what I am trying to run?  Do I need more ram or a faster cpu?  It took a lot of tweaking to get the 2 HVR-1250s to run. I like them because they are cheap but would a different card be more stable?  I had to install a special version of the motherboard bios to get the server to even recognize the second card without crashing.

Would upgrading myth or the os make any difference?  I am willing to buy new hardware if its needed, but I'd hate buy new components if the problem is really in the software.

I know this is a relatively vague request, but I'd love some suggestions or even example configurations of stable systems similar to mine.

Thanks in advance!