[mythtv-users] Backend powered off/shutdown unexpectedly!

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 02:09:52 UTC 2014

Combo MythTV/Ubuntu/hardware question here.

Just got in to discover that our backend was off for the last three hours.
2nd time that has happened since Xmas when we added a new drive. Forgot to
write then because I was working on a deadline. However, the system has
been rock solid otherwise, lots or recordings, no video glitches, etc.

Won't be able to reboot and check BIOS until after midnight (recordings)
but can SSH in and check logs. So some questions:

1) BIOS is/was set to boot on power. Since this has only happened in two+
yrs twice since we added a drive at Xmas, is there a way that setting could
have been bumped or switched off on its own? Didn't make any changes to
BIOS when I added the drive but just covering my bases.

2) If it's something like "shutting down for safety" (detected
overheating/etc) is there any log, Myth or Ubuntu, that would show some
message that translates to "Emergency! Powering down!" so I can see what
happened?

3) I don't have Wake-on-LAN set, but is it just wake, or can it power on
the system as well? I run a website so perhaps I could have that server
ping our dyndns every five minutes or so and send a wake up call if the
system is down,

Thanks for any help. WAF is at risk! :-)