[mythtv-users] Running mythtv-setup over X as mythtv user

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:03:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Again may be the lack of caffeine but...
>>>
>>> a) ssh'd into my myth server ran xhost +the_name_of_my_myth_server and
>>> got xhost:  unable to open display "localhost:10.0"
>>>
>>> b) since I'm using Putty on windoze I don't have a client window to run
>>> the export in before the ssh connection is made.
>>>
>>> Ah...never mind...I see that xhost +machine_running_mythtvsetup is the
>> name of the machine that I'm using to connect to the myth box. I'll give
>> this a whirl in mobaxterm
>>

> Wirth MobaXterm, you don't need to do any of that, it automatically sets
> up the right environment variables and port forwards, as I recall. Just
> open a terminal, ssh to the box you want, and it should 'just work'

Okay...I keep getting fatal errors and Mobaxterm crashes when I try to run
mythtv-setup.

VNC method:
mythtv-setup from the program menu when I VNC in but mythbuntu runs it as
me and not as mythtv.

If I open a terminal on the mythbox (that is VNC in, and mouse over to
Applications>System>Terminal) I can try sudo su - mythtv -c "mythtv-setup"
but then I get a bunch of protocol errors and "cannot open display: :0.0"
Again this is with VNC and not ssh.

Again, in the VNC method I can run mythtv-setup as me, but not as the
mythtv user.

One of those little annoyances. I've only needed to run mythtv-setup a few
times over the years, but another OTA signal has just become available in
my neck of the woods.