[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 02:28:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/26/2014 05:41 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

>>> The video group is a linux group to which a user  must belong in order to
>>> modify video devices (either analog or digital), it doesn't refer to the
>>> type of device.
>>>
>>> To get a list of all the groups you are a member of, type "groups" at a
>>> terminal.
>>>
>>> To add an existing user to a supplementary group from a terminal:
>>>
>>> usermod -a -G groupname yourusername
>>>
>>> I found the info at:
>>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-linux-add-user-to-group/
>>>

>>> Yianni.
>>

>> Bill,I implemented the suggestion that you made, and got different
>> results:
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Jan 26 18:32 adapter0
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Jan 26 18:33 adapter1
>> no SYMLINK names different, I believe those are permission letters,
>> and 2 instead of your 1 before root  root. Does this indicate where
>> I've gone wrong?
>> Daryl
>

> Not sure if you're referring to Yianni's suggestions above or the last
> comment I made which was:
>

>   Here's what I came up with for my dual tuner card.
>
>       http://pastebin.com/GADQ2kvV
>
>   Pastebin the *current* output of:
>
>       udevadm info --attribute-walk --path $(udevadm info --query path
> --name=/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)
>
>   (or whatever device(s) you're testing) and the rule if you're not getting
> the
>   link(s) you want.
>
> In any case, the 2 directories in your response look exactly like mine
> (which is for a single HVR-2200 card.) In the example I gave, the links
> are made in /dev. I also mentioned that the GROUP key can be eliminated
> and the links will still get created.
>
> --
> Bill

Sorry Bill, I climbed the thread without bringing you along. I was
referring to the following:
KERNEL=="dvb?.frontend?",SUBSYSTEM=="dvb",ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x0070",ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x7911",SYMLINK+="JustTesting",GROUP="video"

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Jan 25 16:43 /dev/JustTesting ->
dvb/adapter0/frontend0

and my results were:
 drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Jan 26 18:32 adapter0
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Jan 26 18:33 adapter1

Can you see what I mean now?   Daryl