[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 00:58:32 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 05:41 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Yianni <yiannividalis at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible that the GROUP for analog should stay "video", but the
>>> GROUP for digital should be "dvb"? I was able to get the analog card
>>> to take the symlink name, but not the digital one.   Daryl
>>

>> The video group is a linux group to which a user  must belong in order to modify video devices (either analog or digital), it doesn't refer to the type of device.
>>
>> To get a list of all the groups you are a member of, type "groups" at a terminal.
>>
>> To add an existing user to a supplementary group from a terminal:
>>
>> usermod -a -G groupname yourusername
>>
>> I found the info at:
>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-linux-add-user-to-group/
>>

>> Yianni.
>
> Bill,I implemented the suggestion that you made, and got different results:
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Jan 26 18:32 adapter0
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Jan 26 18:33 adapter1
> no SYMLINK names different, I believe those are permission letters,
> and 2 instead of your 1 before root  root. Does this indicate where
> I've gone wrong?
> Daryl

Not sure if you're referring to Yianni's suggestions above or the last
comment I made which was:

   Here's what I came up with for my dual tuner card.

       http://pastebin.com/GADQ2kvV

   Pastebin the *current* output of:

       udevadm info --attribute-walk --path $(udevadm info --query path --name=/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)

   (or whatever device(s) you're testing) and the rule if you're not getting the
   link(s) you want.

In any case, the 2 directories in your response look exactly like mine
(which is for a single HVR-2200 card.) In the example I gave, the links
are made in /dev. I also mentioned that the GROUP key can be eliminated
and the links will still get created.

--
Bill