[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jan 26 23:36:27 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 01:29:44PM -0500, Stephen P. Villano wrote:

> On 1/26/14, 1:14 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> > On 2014-01-26 11:51 AM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
> >>
> >> Now, if a disruptive technology were to come along to upset the
> >> applecart, we might actually have things implemented properly.
> >> But, I'll not hold my breath waiting for it.
> >
> > In a sense, we did -- Hulu and Netflix and other "on-demand" viewing
> > over the internet.
> >
> > Annnnndddd.... we can see where that went.

> Not *quite* disruptive enough.  :/
>
> Consider the tablet computing scene of today, the PDA of the past.
> Consider the Apple Newton. Right product, wrong time. Later PDA's were a
> collection of niche products, but again, a bit before their time.
> Then, the Apple and Android tablets hit. Right product, right time.
> And we're still stuck with Hulu and Netflix as they are. And they did
> struggle to get where they are today, as there was significant
> resistance from the content owners.

   I wouldn't be so sure. I recently bought a Roku for a family member that
saw mine in action. Their reaction was "Why didn't you tell me about this
sooner?". These are people that have used Tivos in a very lackluster manner
despite my attempts at prodding then. They just didn't seem to latch onto the
whole PVR thing.

   They are a not very tech saavy but they latched onto the Roku immediately
as soon as they saw it.

   On the front end, a PVR with absurdly large storage is not much different
than a VOD system. But you still have to create and maintain recording rules.
That seems to be too much for some people.

   ...enter streamers.