[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Mark D. Montgomery II techiem2 at techiem2.net
Sun Jan 26 18:47:33 UTC 2014

<snippity>

> Not *quite* disruptive enough.  :/
>
> Consider the tablet computing scene of today, the PDA of the past.
> Consider the Apple Newton. Right product, wrong time. Later PDA's were a
> collection of niche products, but again, a bit before their time.
> Then, the Apple and Android tablets hit. Right product, right time.
> And we're still stuck with Hulu and Netflix as they are. And they did
> struggle to get where they are today, as there was significant
> resistance from the content owners.

And there still is (just look at how Netflix gains and loses content
contracts...), especially when those content owners are the cable TV
AND Internet providers, so all the streaming services are direct
competitors to their content business and heavy traffic users of their
internet services.
Thus we see things like data caps and the talks of charging content
providers fees to have their services not count against the
subscribers' data caps....

--
Mark D. Montgomery II
http://www.techiem2.net