[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 17:56:18 UTC 2014

On 1/26/14, 12:38 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Stephen P. Villano
> <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I do wonder though, would Cisco sell a box to a CCIE? As I understand
>> it, their entire product line is available to a CCIE holder, at a discount.
>> That would be an interesting, if expensive experiment.
> I do not know if a CCIE (the I is, after all Internet)
> has access to the (pure) cable content equipment.
> Probably the DOCSIS equipment, but maybe not
> the pure cable equipment.
>
> And a CCIE had to agree to only use the discounted
> equipment equipment for testing/learning, and not
> production.  So, if you build a test lab of Scientific
> Atlanta equipment you might be legitimate.  Using
> it with Time Warner, probably not.
>
> Gary
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert. Commonly referred to as the PhD of
networking.
They can purchase every Cisco product available, at a significant discount.
Not only for educational purposes, but for an enterprise as well. Some
large enterprises retain a CCIE holder just for the discount.

So, in my thought experiment, if a CCIE were to purchase a Cisco STB and
ask Verizon to activate it, said CCIE might have to provide proof of
lawful ownership, but they'd have to activate the STB.
If I had the money, I'd try it out, as I do personally know some CCIE
holders who would happily order equipment for me, provided that I pay
for it.