[mythtv-users] Antenna advise

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 14:03:15 UTC 2014

Mike Thomas <mt3 at pfw.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> If you're getting into this level of detail you might like to think
> about the cabling and connectors. I haven't any experience of the parts
> you use in the USA, but here in the UK we're stuck with the awful
> Belling Lee connectors. These babies are not impedance matched so if
> you're desperate for signal level you might consider using proper RF
> connectors everywhere you can.
>
> I've tried F connectors but they are pretty crummy. I've had the
> lowest loss from soldered BNC connectors, although you might prefer
> higher-frequency variants like TNC or even N-series. The key is to
> solder them neatly.

There's a lot of kit now using F connectors, and IMO they aren't that bad with a bit of practice and if you have the right connector for the cable you are using. Using anything else is a non-starter - when was the last time you saw anything aimed at the domestic market with BNC or N connectors ? If you follow standard good practice and avoid connectors as far as possible, then you aren't going to be able to use anything but what's on the bits you are connecting to (F if you choose well, BL for the last connection to the TV).

> But far and away the best advice for simple installations is to buy a
> proper Yagi (the more elements the better) ...

That can backfire :-(
When I changed the aerial at home, I got the highest gain group C/D yagi I could - on the basis that it's easier to throw unwanted signal away if not needed than to deal with too little. As a mate puts it, better looking at it than for it !
Now I've found that they have plans (in a few years) to move our main transmitter down to the bottom of the band where my Yagi 18C/D has naff all gain. Got the G/Fs house to do - I'll be getting a log periodic (and add a filter if needed) as I only want to be doing this (or as hers needs to go on the chimney, paying someone to do it) once.