[mythtv-users] Antenna advise

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 22:59:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 4:49 PM, david brooke <david2012brooke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just got my notice that comcast will be encrypting my basic channels. I'm
> looking to get setup with OTA channels.

While there is an up-front initial cost for the OCUR tuner (Ceton/HDHR),
Comcast is required to provide a CableCard for "free" for (up to) two years
(one is more common) so that you can continue to receive those channels
that you have already been paying for (in order to be authorized to receive
them).  It is likely that the cost of an OCUR tuner will be cheaper than the
investment in the required (good) antenna.

Of course, it is also true that with OTA the quality may be better than
what your provide makes available to you (all of them transcode the
broadcasts into something that is usually less quality than the original).

And "cutting the cord" does have other benefits (except if the housemate
insists on ESPN :-)

Gary