[mythtv-users] 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 23 19:49:40 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 01:37 PM, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> On 23.01.2014 19:16, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>> Try masking this version of cyrus-sasl in /etc/portage/package.mask and
>> it will force an older version to be used.
> OK, so I downgraded cyrus-sasl to 2.1.23 and now I get this:
>
> # pkg-config --list-all | grep -i Qt | grep -i OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'
> Variable 'libjpeg_prefix' not defined in '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgdiplus.pc'
> QtOpenGL
>
> Seems there is more broken than cyrus-sasl, but at least I get the

and I quote (myself):

>>> The pkg-config command is supposed to do its best to give the
>>> information requested, or else the entire development system is
>>> broken when /any/ package has a bad pkg-config file (and this
>>> happens /far/ more often than most probably realize).

though some may be starting to realize just how often these .pc files
have some minor breakage

> QtOpenGL output now.

This makes no sense unless it's an (extreme) bug that's causing
pkg-config to crash with that one slightly-broken libsasl2.pc file.

> MythTV 0.27 configure now finds OpenGL!
>
> But I would opt for a workaround in MythTV before I change lots of
> packages on my system without knowing what I break.

No, we won't work around a broken development system.  If pkg-config
doesn't work on your system, then you need to fix pkg-config.  If we
can't rely on pkg-config, then pkg-config is useless.  The pkg-config
web page at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/pkg-config/ says:
-----
pkg-config is a helper tool used when compiling applications and
libraries. It helps you insert the correct compiler options on the
command line so an application can use |gcc -o test test.c|pkg-config
--libs --cflags glib-2.0|| for instance, rather than hard-coding values
on where to find glib (or other libraries).
-----
If we can't rely on pkg-config, we have to hard-code things, and then
we're back to hand-writing Makefiles and 1970's style computing.

Mike