[mythtv-users] OT: Problems with two hard drive controllers with an ASUS P5Q-E motherboard

Juhani Rautiainen jrauti at iki.fi
Thu Jan 23 04:53:56 UTC 2014

Hi!

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
> I'm having issues with both of my hard drives in my aging P5Q-E system.  I
> have a rather new Corsair Neutron 64GB SSD as my system drive and a 3 TB
> Seagate data drive.
>

> Could the reason for these various failures be a failing PCIe bus or
> something similar?  Why would the current controller I'm using still work?
> I'm pretty confused.

I had similar problems with HighPoint RocketRaid 2720 (Marvell 9485)
when I put it in my old machine (with Intel 915GM chipset). In my case
mvsas driver started failing disks in RAID-5 after ten minutes (I used
linux software raid). Discussions pointed to driver and chipset being
rubbish. I tried everything: non-RAID BIOS etc. Finally I tried the
card in MB which had PCIe 2.0 slots. All the problems disappeared
instantly and card has been running for over half a year without any
problems and it's pretty fast with WD Red's. That is as long as you
don't do lot's of random write IO (RAID-5 penalty kicks in). It seems
that atleast 9485 doesn't handle PCIe v1 correctly. So my question is
that in what slot do you have that card? If it is in the black PCIe
16x slot it seems to be PCIe v1.1 (from ICH10R southbridge). I would
try the blue slot. With Mythtv it really doesn't matter if your
graphics card is 8x or 16x.

> I did run the long test on my SSD drive and it came back clean.
>
> Frankly, I don't even need an SSD drive on this combined FE/BE.  I didn't
> have issues with my five or so year-old 1 TB hard drive.  I just thought it
> was an easy upgrade.  I have a feeling I'd have trouble with a newer hard
> drive as my system drive, so I suppose I might as well stick with the SSD.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That's my 2 cents.

> Thanks!
> Jerry