[mythtv-users] Antenna advise

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 17:48:51 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM, david brooke <david2012brooke at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, I would need to buy a HDHR prime or similar
> which holds three cable cards.

The OCUR devices hold 1 CableCard (M-Cards, which support decoding
up to six streams at once)..  The currently shipping HDHR Prime can
decode up to 3 streams (channels) at once (future models will have
different limits and capabilities).  Ceton has 4 and 6 stream models available
today.

> As far as the costs of the antenna vs the HDHR prime, they will be about the
> same. The best antenna I found so far is $115 delivered but will need some
> accessories so when it is all said and done it will be about $150 which is
> what the HDHR prime is advertised for on their site.

I suspect you might be underestimating the "accessory" costs, unless
you already have the appropriate mast, support, roof prep and repair
(for the guy wires that you need to install into the roof), and the required
grounding in place (just the copper busbar plate for a proper ground can
be quite expensive).  Never forget proper grounding!  And then there is
the labor cost (even if you do it yourself, I presume you value your time
(although, sometimes, it can be fun, at least the first time :-)).

If one has some patience, the HDHR Prime can be found for less (since
it will be replaced soon with the newer models, they are (apparently)
doing random fire sales; some have gotten them for $99).

The antenna may still be the right way for you to go, but the CAPEXt
estimates may be slightly skewed.  Clearly if you cancel Cable
(TV) service the OPEX will be less.

Gary