[mythtv-users] My scheduler problems are back again

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 13:17:05 UTC 2014

> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:06:11 +0000
> From: mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] My scheduler problems are back again
> If you can run to one tuner per mulitplex there's a much simpler way of
> achieving the above - and that is to make a separate source for each multiplex,
> containing just the channels in that multiplex.
>
> You just assign each source to a tuner (or more if you have them), making sure
> you have enough virtual tuners to cover the max simultaneous recordings on that
> source.
>
> This technique avoids having to muck about with the database at all.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Thanks Mike, that had not occurred to me at all. I see from a separate thread (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/133175) that Stephen (OP of this thread) does indeed have same number of tuners as multiplexes so this may be the solution he is looking for (that is if he is still following this thread).

A question however - does this work with LiveTV? I can't quite get my head around how LiveTV would be handled with the sources split as such. I assume that you would need to know which tuner was associated with which multiplex, then force the frontend onto that tuner then change to the program you wanted? Or does LiveTV automatically hop between tuners whenever a channel change occurs? Or would it still be best to have one additional tuner just dedicated to LiveTV with every multiplex on that tuner / source combination (which could also act as a lower priority catch-all for any excess recordings not that it shouldn't be needed with 5 channels per tuner)?

I've essentially got 4 tuners and 5 multiplexes so am thinking that best answer for me is to spring for the additional tuner(s) and call it a day but would like to have it clear in my mind how LiveTV is handled first. Some of the users in my household may struggle with too much complexity with LiveTV channel changes.