[mythtv-users] VBI/Closed Captions with HD-PVR

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Tue Jan 14 04:39:01 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 10:20 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 6:57 AM, Bob <mythtv at cox.net> wrote:
>>> However, when using zvbi2raw or ccextractor I am not getting any output.
>>> I've also tried both of these commands while using the "cat /dev/videoX" and
>>> still do not get any output.
>>>
>> This may or may not be useful for your situation, but...  When I first tried
>> getting this to work (on a PVR-150), I had the DISH STB configured to "burn
>> in" the captions, and in this configuration, the STB deliberately disables
>> the VBI caption data in the relevant outputs.  Changing that configuration
>> setting fixed it.
> Jim makes a good point.  As a test, hook the composite feed from the
> STB to a television, and make sure you're getting captions at all.
>
> Devin

USB information: Bus 006 Device 017: ID eb1a:2860 eMPIA Technology, Inc.

Using
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/video4linux/CARDLIST.em28xx
this suggested to me to use card "1", the automatic detection on my
3.6.7 kernel appears to favor card 19 which is the reference design. I
believe I've found the main problem:

$ zvbi2raw -m -d /dev/vbi_em28xx
Capturing line 21 from /dev/vbi5
Device cannot be opened!

I was seeing this issue when I initially tried to capture video using:

$ cat /dev/video6 > /tmp/junk

When I use card 8 or card 1 this issue is resolved for video.

I do believe my cable box is set-up properly because I was able to
successfully use zvbi2raw with the analog input of the HVR-2250.

More information that may or may not be helpful:

em28xx: New device   @ 480 Mbps (eb1a:2860, interface 0, class 0)
em28xx: Video interface 0 found
em28xx: DVB interface 0 found
em28xx #0: chip ID is em2860
em28xx #0: board has no eeprom
em28xx #0: found i2c device @ 0x4a [saa7113h]
em28xx #0: Your board has no unique USB ID.
em28xx #0: A hint were successfully done, based on i2c devicelist hash.
em28xx #0: This method is not 100% failproof.
em28xx #0: If the board were missdetected, please email this log to:
em28xx #0: Board detected as EM2860/SAA711X Reference Design
em28xx #0: Identified as EM2860/SAA711X Reference Design (card=19)
saa7115 13-0025: saa7113 found (1f7113d0e100000) @ 0x4a (em28xx #0)
em28xx #0: Config register raw data: 0x00
em28xx #0: v4l2 driver version 0.1.3
em28xx #0: V4L2 video device registered as video6
em28xx #0: V4L2 VBI device registered as vbi5
usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx

Also, I have verified I am attempting to use the composite input:

$ /usr/bin/v4l2-ctl -i 1 -d /dev/video6
Video input set to 1 (Composite1: ok)

Thank you for your consideration.