[mythtv-users] Recording Priorities

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jan 19 11:13:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 09:35:25 +0000, you wrote:

>On 19 Jan 2014, at 00:54, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:09:42 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Could someone help me with recording priorities, I'm struggling to get my head around it.
>>>
>>> I have 4 dvb-s2 cards and 2 dvb-t cards, the quality of recordings on the dvb-s2 cards is superior to the dvb-t cards, additionally some channels are broadcast an hour later in reduced quality, so I would like the schedule to use the following priority when scheduling recordings
>>>
>>> 1 - dvb-s2 (best quality)
>>> 2 - dvb-t
>>> 3 - dvb-s2 +1 channel
>>> 4 - dvb-t +1 channel (worst quality)
>>>
>>> So do I need to set the recording priority to +10 on the dvb-s inputs and the channel priorities to -20 on the +1 channels to achieve my goal?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Russell
>>
>> The priority system changed significantly from 0.26 to 0.27, so for
>> anyone to give you a good answer, we need to know what version you are
>> running.  See here for what changed:
>>
>>  http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/5587501/mythtv
>>
>> and here for the explanation of how things work:
>>
>>  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Scheduling_Recordings#Priority
>
>Hi Sorry,
>  Leaving out the version was very remiss of me, I'm running 0.27 (from home spun RPMs on Fedora 18).
>
>The wiki link was what lead me to the initial post, I don't use per recording priorities so I don't think the change from 0.26 to 0.27 will effect me, however I have a nagging feeling that i'm missing something fundemental hence the post.
>
>I guess I could just set it up and monitor how it works.
>
>Thanks
>  Russell

I am doing something similar - I have SD +1 hour channels for three of
my HD DVB-T channels.  I have given the HD channels and all channels
that do not have a +1 version a recpriority of 10, with the +1
channels having a recpriority of 5.  Some of the channels are also
available as SD on DVB-S, and I have given the main channels on DVB-S
a recpriority of -5 and the +1 channels on DVB-S a recpriority of -6.

However, I also do not even populate the EPG data for the duplicate
DVB-S channels, so they will never record.  I do that because I have
as many DVB-T tuners as there are DVB-T multiplexes here, so I know I
will never have a real conflict, and in fact should never have to use
the +1 channels unless a recording from the HD channel fails.  I have
had that happen when I had a power cut, and had to record the SD
version when the power came back on.

That scheme seems to work, but I do not use it much as a lot of my
recording rules are set as "This channel" for other reasons.

So I would suggest you just try it out and see what happens.

It is also possible to put priorities on the cards, so I have my DVB-T
inputs (H.264 video) set to recpriority 4 and my DVB-S inputs (MPEG2
video) to recpriority -5.