[mythtv-users] commflagging and cutlists

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Jan 18 20:15:10 UTC 2014

I guess I am confused about commflagging.  I always assumed that
commflagging and cutlists went hand in hand...  However, I am playing
with commflagging and I am coming up with some weird results that tell
me I have no idea how commflagging works.

First off the standard myth commflag job as run by myth:

/usr/bin/mythcommflag -j 31 --noprogress --verbose general --loglevel
info --quiet --syslog local7

This takes a while; on my system it rolls through at 3-4x the speed of
the video, so a 2 hour video takes about a half an hour to flag.

But to generate a commercial cutlist this is the command I've seen:

mythcommflag: /usr/bin/mythcommflag --chanid 1132 --starttime
20140117230000 --gencutlist

It's very fast, takes just a minute or two, and seems to flag
commercials.  it also generates the following warning:

  WARNING: --gencutlist has been deprecated
           use mythutil instead

So I've tried this:

mythutil --chanid "$chanid" --starttime "$starttime" --gencutlist

which also works quickly and generates a cutlist.

So what is the correct procedure?  Do I run the first commflag job, then
the mythutil cutlist job?