[mythtv-users] OT: ZOTAC ZBOX ID-18

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 23:06:22 UTC 2014

On 17/01/14 18:28, Joseph Fry wrote:

>>> http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox/product/zbox/detail/zbox-id18/sort/starttime/order/DESC/amount/10/section/specifications.html

>> Well, yeah, I can google as well as the next man. Unfortunately, "Intel HD
>> Graphics" doesn't tell me a whole lot that's useful. *Which chip* and does
>> it have a useable Linux driver?
>
> "Intel HD Graphics" tells you everything you need to know... you just
> don't realize it.
>
> All newer consumer Intel processors include a GPU.  All you need to do
> is look at the processor that ships with this unit to see which Intel
> HD Graphics GPU is on the chip.  Google for information about that
> particular GPU (HD3000, HD4000, etc.) if you want to know the
> limitations of them.
>
> As far as drivers are concerned, check out 01.org.
>
> In my experience the Intel drivers work pretty well, and with VA-API
> they give you similar CPU usage reductions compared to VDPAU on
> Nvidia.  Where NVIDIA shines is in it's post processing (deinterlacing
> mostly).  If you have a quality deinterlacer in your TV, you can set
> your system up to output raw interlaced material and let the TV handle
> it (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree).
>
> The drivers have been improving pretty steadily, and VA-API support is
> pretty good in myth, so odds are things will only get better.

Er, no. I bought two of these last year, expecting exactly what you describe above:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-D2700MUD-Desktop-Board/dp/B006ZN4S22

Unfortunately the GPU design was outsourced to PowerVR: GMA 3650 aka. PowerVR
sgx545. Since PowerVR don't like to give anything away without an NDA this chip
only has a rudimentary Linux driver and to begin with I could only get VESA
modes. There is a driver which comprises a Ubuntu shim on top of a translator
layer on top of a binary blob designed for another OS (!). I didn't go there but
just bought a couple of cheap GT610s to plug in instead.

So I'm a bit wary when people say "Intel Graphics" these days.

Thanks for the reply anyway. I've ordered one of these since it looks like the
drivers are reasonably mature for my needs.

--

Mike Perkins