[mythtv-users] OT: ZOTAC ZBOX ID-18

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Jan 17 18:28:24 UTC 2014

>>> I've come across these and am tempted - but not necessarily for a
>>> front-end. But google as I might, I can't find any (useful) information
>>> about what GPU chip is used here, which obviously makes a difference as I
>>> want to put Debian on it. I've been burned with incompatible Intel
>>> graphics
>>> chips before.
>>>
>>> http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.aspx?pn=ZBOX-ID18-B
>>>
>>> Anyone out there know?
>>

>> http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox/product/zbox/detail/zbox-id18/sort/starttime/order/DESC/amount/10/section/specifications.html
>>

>>> The alternative is this one, which I know is compatible, but it's £70
>>> more
>>> expensive.
>>>
>>> http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.aspx?pn=ZBOX-ID42-BE
>>>

> Well, yeah, I can google as well as the next man. Unfortunately, "Intel HD
> Graphics" doesn't tell me a whole lot that's useful. *Which chip* and does
> it have a useable Linux driver?

"Intel HD Graphics" tells you everything you need to know... you just
don't realize it.

All newer consumer Intel processors include a GPU.  All you need to do
is look at the processor that ships with this unit to see which Intel
HD Graphics GPU is on the chip.  Google for information about that
particular GPU (HD3000, HD4000, etc.) if you want to know the
limitations of them.

As far as drivers are concerned, check out 01.org.

In my experience the Intel drivers work pretty well, and with VA-API
they give you similar CPU usage reductions compared to VDPAU on
Nvidia.  Where NVIDIA shines is in it's post processing (deinterlacing
mostly).  If you have a quality deinterlacer in your TV, you can set
your system up to output raw interlaced material and let the TV handle
it (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree).

The drivers have been improving pretty steadily, and VA-API support is
pretty good in myth, so odds are things will only get better.