[mythtv-users] OT - How to find what is overriding my DPI setting

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 13 17:38:25 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 12:17 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:46 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 01/12/2014 10:28 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>>> Some Background:
>>>
>>> I have an older widescreen plasma with a native resolution of 1024x768.
>>>    Yep that means I have 'non-square' pixels.  I am using nvidia
>>> proprietary
>>> driver version 319. My Distro is mythbuntu.  To make my videos display
>>> correctly in myth I have to set the DPI in xorg.conf to "48 x 64". This
>>> setting is being read, because it tells me so in Xorg.0.log.
>>>
>>> I had this problem previously with this same computer hardware / TV /
>>> MythTV setup. Last time another user pointed me to the lightdm.conf file,
>>> where the DPI hardcoded.  That's not the case this time.  What changed? I
>>> changed AV receivers and the sound over hdmi would not work after a period
>>> of non-use. In my attempts to fix this I installed different nvidia
>>> drivers, and subsequently screwed up X.
>>>
>>> I now have X working again, but I'm not sure what all I did in my
>>> attempts.
>>>    I do know I did a clean install of the nvidia driver 319.  I also fixed
>>> my
>>> sound issue.  Anyone having that issue I can help now.
>>>
>>> The question:
>>>
>>> I can't find what is overriding my dpi setting.  How do I track that down?
>>>    I've looked at every config file I could find and every log file that I
>>> could find.  I've even starting trying to go though the logic in some
>>> startup scripts.
>>>
>>> I posted my logs here:  http://pastebin.com/npLtTbC8 , in case anyone
>>> wants
>>> to take a look.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any pointers as I am exhausted from looking.
>>>
>> Check, also the X startup to make sure it's not X -dpi 100 or startx --
>> -dpi 100 or similar.
> Thanks Mike, but I've gotten lost trying to find where this actually gets
> executed.  Any pointers on how to find that?

That's the challenge.  Different distros take different approaches, so
you'll likely have to look for Ubuntu-specific information (and, really,
information on your specific version of Ubuntu) about everything that's
done to start X.  Searches may help, or maybe someone else on the list
has some information about it.

Mike