[mythtv-users] Database internals

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat Jan 4 08:36:35 UTC 2014

On 03/01/2014 16:03, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>> Yes exactly. Nicely put. What still seems uncertain is whether
>> mysqldump can do that,
>
> That answer is yes, with appropriate options.
>
>> and if so, whether it does so as default.
>
> The answer is no, depending on exactly what you mean
> by a full backup/restore (as others have stated).  As an
> example, before some version (I do not recall the number),
> at least some system tables were not backed up
> (even if specified explicitly).

The manual page says "For InnoDB tables, mysqldump provides a way
of making an online backup", and quotes the caommand

mysqldump --all-databases --single-transaction

I've been using the first of those option, but admittedly not
the second. Apparently, there's a whole section in the docs
on backup and recovery. How hard can it be?!

> As I have said before, if you are (or want be become)
> a DBA, by all means learn the billions and billions of
> mysqldump options and their implication for your
> particular configuration (not everyone runs a dedicated
> MySQL instance for MythTV; see attractive nuisance).
> Otherwise, let some other (expert) figure it out for you.

I don't have any option but to follow it up. If my server
ran only mythbackend then yes, mythconverg_backup would be
a total solution, but I have several databases I have to
move between machines every 8 months or so.

P.