[mythtv-users] Database internals

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 16:03:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Yes exactly. Nicely put. What still seems uncertain is whether
> mysqldump can do that,

That answer is yes, with appropriate options.

> and if so, whether it does so as default.

The answer is no, depending on exactly what you mean
by a full backup/restore (as others have stated).  As an
example, before some version (I do not recall the number),
at least some system tables were not backed up
(even if specified explicitly).

As I have said before, if you are (or want be become)
a DBA, by all means learn the billions and billions of
mysqldump options and their implication for your
particular configuration (not everyone runs a dedicated
MySQL instance for MythTV; see attractive nuisance).
Otherwise, let some other (expert) figure it out for you.