[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HDTV?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Dec 29 18:47:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 12:18:00PM -0800, Karl Newman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My wife and I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that it's time to
> > enter the HD age, so we're looking for a TV. I'm interested in
> > recommendations from the MythTV community, specifically pitfalls (or
>
>     Here is a graphic to consider. It's a graph of screen sizes versus
> viewing distances and percieved visual improvement. My own experience
> lines up nicely with it.
>

> http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2089333/4/4c/4cd4431b_200ppdengleski.png
>
>     I have a respectable size set in the living room that is not
> particularly
> impressive when displaying HD because of the long viewing distance versus
> screen
> size.

Thanks. Although given that we've lived without any HD for maybe 15 years,
the resolution clearly doesn't bother us. The funny thing is the main
motivation my wife gave is so she could read the football scores (I think
CBS is okay, but Fox is not great and NBC is horrible as far as score
readability goes). Granted, since we don't yet have HD capture cards, it
may not fix that problem entirely, but a larger screen should help
(currently have a ~32" Sony SD CRT).

Karl