[mythtv-users] Preventing a file transfer from saturating the network

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Dec 23 19:33:04 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
wrote:

> Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>
> > Both devices should get a Link Local address (169.254.x.x)
> automatically, so communication to the HDHR shouldn't be an issue (assuming
> your using the HDHR device name and not an IP in your mythtv device
> configuration, which it does by default)
>
> Or better still, configure an IP subnet on the link - I'm something of a
> fan of deterministic setup !
> Also it'll allow the roouting to be configured so that your PC/whatever on
> the main lan can still access the HDHR. It just requires the Myth server to
> have packet forwarding turned on, and to add a route for the subnet via the
> Myth server's main LAN address.

This would require running a DHCP server on the new subnet, or assigning
the HDHR a static address.  I find Link Local to be far simpler if your
just connecting two devices directly to one another.  Deterministic is
great, except you will never actually use the HDHR's IP for anything, so
why bother.

The only issue I ever had with this was that sometimes linux can be slow to
assign a link local address... but you can actually force link local in the
network interface configuration and it's instant.

Another thing to look at is the network connection itself.  An HDHR doesn't
use that much bandwidth typically... not so much that you should see
problems on a gigabit network, or even an 100Mbit.  You might have an issue
with your computer connecting to the switch synchronously instead of
async.  This would effectively cut your bandwidth in half since it can only
send or receive, not both.

Finally... you may have cabling/interference issues (check for dropped
frames).  Or maybe this would justifying an upgrade to a Gigabit switch
(can get them dirt cheap these days).