[mythtv-users] mythbuntu theme 28.16

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 19:55:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Nicolas Krzywinski <myth at site7even.de> wrote:
> And this is the Achilles' heel of open source as well. For those that just
> want to USE a software and don't want to contribute everywhere, they always
> are in danger of losing functionality with doing an update.

Updates losing functionality is not limited to open
source.  The advantage of open source is that you
can choose to add that functionality back, should
you want it bad enough.

There are many ways to contribute (not everyone can
code, not everyone can write good documentation, not
everyone can do good UI design, not everyone can do
packaging, and not everyone may be able to contribute
to a "bug/feature bounty" campaign for someone else
to do the work).  But choosing not to contribute in any
form is also a choice, and choices have consequences,
including having no one to "horse trade" with to get
some particular functionality in exchange for something
you can do that they can not, or do not want to do (or
are lousy at).

I recognize that there are limits to ones time/energy/money,
but if one is only a taker from a project, one should not
be surprised if ones concerns/opinions are listened to,
considered, and then other choices are made.

> (I still am sitting on v0.27.x because I am afraid of what numerous things
> will break down this time when doing an update)

0.27.4 is the latest stable.  0.28/master is in active development,
and would generally not be recommended as a daily driver for
those who highly value stability.

Although there is much to like in master, occasionally a commit
breaks something, or the functionally is preliminary..  Yes,
0.28 will almost certainly change something that someone
(possibly you) expects to work in a certain way.  That, too,
is to be expected.