[mythtv-users] Crash in mythtv-common after Fedora 21 upgrade with rpmfusion - suggestions?

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Fri Dec 12 17:49:38 UTC 2014

I like upgrading early, because I guess I like to fix things.  So I'm on
day 3 of Fedora 21 on my system.

I have been digging into this one and I think I'm at a solution, but I'd
like input as to what is the most sane answer.

After upgrading, I had one recording fail, but several other test
recordings have worked.

My /etc/mythtv/config.xml was 0 byte file after the upgrade.  I linked it
to my user's config.xml

The "reason" given by the abrt daemon (crash logger) is:

cache_file.py:255:_init_cache:TMDBCacheWriteError: User does not have
permission to write cache file: /etc/mythtv/pytmdb3.cache.

So it appears that maybe $MYTHCONFDIR should be set to my user's home
instead?  That is what the mythbackend.service file says.  It is currently
set to /etc/mythtv.  But it has always worked before.

I saw a note about $MYTHCACHEDIR.  Is this something I should set?

What if I chown mythtv:mythtv /etc/mythtv?  It was at root:root.  I run the
backend as user mythtv, and I gave him a shell instead of /sbin/nologin so
I can do mythtv-setup properly.  All the icons and things got dumped in
there, strangely, even though /etc/mythtv was formerly root:root.

[root at htpc mythtv]# ls -l
total 16
drwxr-xr-x. 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 16  2013 3rdParty
drwxr-xr-x. 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 16  2013 channels
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root     32 Dec 12 12:22 config.xml ->
/home/myuser/.mythtv/config.xml
drwxr-xr-x. 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 16  2013 themes
drwxr-xr-x. 4 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 17  2013 tmp
[root at htpc mythtv]#

This setup may be a little scrambled and I'm asking for any input to make
this saner.

What do you folks recommend?

Jerry

---other notes---

Fedora 21 has php 5.6.x and that seems to run smoothly with mythweb.  Php
upgrades have not always been so smooth for me. :)

I think things are basically working.  It looks like some artwork grabbing
failed twice.  I have two nearly identical crashes.

I did a FedUp upgrade and it has been nearly painless.  I think there were
7 rpms that didn't upgrade, and I could account for all of them.  I did a
mock upgrade on a virtual machine first, and I recommend that so you can
try it out first, just to see how things go.  I couldn't test everything
but it made me more comfortable.

Sorry for the long post.  I'll report more errors if they occur.