[mythtv-users] Cablecard spec change undermining CCI Copy Freely flags

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 22:57:19 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> I just got my HDHR prime and put it to the test today. It came with some
> 2012 firmware installed. Both my Ceton and my Prime with 2012 firmware were
> reporting CGMS protection, but when I updated to the 20140604 firmware there
> was no CGMS protection present on the prime.

Question: Is the channel in question sent in clearQAM on the cable?

The reason I ask is that (some time ago) when I read the OCUR
and CC specs I seem to recall that there was an "out" in the OCUR
specifications that did not require a OCUR device, which could
decode the stream without the CableCARD (i.e. the stream
was sent clearQAM), to actually implement CCI or CGMS
restrictions (since, it was clearQAM).  Only channels that would
require CableCARD decryption had to implement CCI/CGMS.
The wording was sufficiently imprecise that I can see it actually
implemented differently by different vendors.  Also, there have
been "clarifications" in later revisions, so things may be
slightly different than I recall.