[mythtv-users] Can the scheduler be made to treat certain sources as blacklisted for certain times?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:30:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Seems strange a manufacturer would be allowed to sell equipment to a customer that shuts itself off without some sort of kick back from end users.
>
> It happens a lot ! Windoze users are used to having the machine force a reboot when it decides it's updates time. Annoying on a personal machine when you've left it with open work overnight, it's even more annoying with a server.

There *are* ways to configure accepting updates, and whether the
automatic reboot happens on Windows (but since I do not use
Windows on any regular basis, I do not remember where those
configurations are buried, but I do remember finding them at one
point in the past when someone wanted help).

And it is true that STBs also get firmware updates from time to time
(although very infrequently, like once/twice a year, except, perhaps,
when they update something, and then have to back it out due to
"issues").  And after those updates, the STB reboots.

I suspect that twice a week is a kludge/workaround for a latent
memory leak or memory corruption issue.  Probably long ago
fixed in updated firmware, but the reboot schedule has never
been adjusted.