[mythtv-users] DB manipulation

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Aug 7 14:02:50 UTC 2014


On 07/08/14 14:23, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com
> <mailto:darylangela at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>     On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Mark Perkins
>     <perkins1724 at hotmail.com <mailto:perkins1724 at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>
>
>         On 6 Aug 2014, at 1:25 am, "Daryl McDonald"
>         <darylangela at gmail.com <mailto:darylangela at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>
>>         On Aug 5, 2014 12:22 AM, "Michael T. Dean"
>>         <mtdean at thirdcontact.com <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>>         >
>>         > On 08/04/2014 05:58 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:
>>         >>
>>         >> Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>         >>>
>>         >>> Would it work to create the backup, restore it to the new
>>         system, then "mythconverg_restore.pl
>>         <http://mythconverg_restore.pl>
>>         <http://mythconverg_restore.pl> --change_hostname
>>         --old_hostname="XXXX" --new_hostname="YYYY" it?
>>         >>
>>         >>
>>         >> Yes
>>         >
>>         >
>>         > Iff you run the --change_hostname before you run any MythTV
>>         application at all on the new system, and iff you have never
>>         run any MythTV application on any system that used the new
>>         same host name as the new host name.
>>         >
>>         > Mike
>>         >
>>         > _______________________________________________
>>         > mythtv-users mailing list
>>         > mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>         > http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>>         > http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
>>         > MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>>
>>         I'm guessing that you are saying that since I've set up the BE
>>         and added scripts etc., it won't work because I have already
>>         created a Db. In that case, would I have to drop the current
>>         Db before restoring the previous system's Db?
>>         Daryl
>>
>>         _______________________________________________
>
>         No, when a system (frontend or 'slave' backend) first connects
>         to the master backend the master backend populates a heap of
>         default settings into the database which are all keyed off the
>         host name. They will essentially remain in the database for
>         ever. What the --change_hostname command does is change all the
>         settings from an old hostname to a new hostname. However if the
>         new hostname has already been used (at some time in the past)
>         then the --change_hostname command would result in some settings
>         being duplicated which is not permitted under the database rules
>         so the change would fail.
>
>         I guess that the script fails gracefully (ie checks if the
>         proposed new hostname has been used before and refuses to
>         proceed if it has) rather than getting half way through and then
>         corrupting your database but either way make sure you have a
>         known good backup of your database and keep it some place very
>         safe....
>
>         If you have been able to successfully restore your database
>         during your testing so far then just keep doing whatever you
>         have been doing to restore the database. Just make sure that no
>         myth% program runs on the new system and touches the database
>         before the change hostname script has been run. Note MySQL will
>         need to be running with the database restored for the script to
>         work.
>
>         _______________________________________________
>         mythtv-users mailing list
>         mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>         http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>         http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
>         MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>
>
>     Looks like the weekend is when I'll get my window of opportunity to
>     make my changes. What I'm hearing is that it'll be all good if the
>     very next thing I do after restoring the old Db to the new system is
>     to rename it according to the new system's local hostname, right?
>
>     Does anyone know why my previous OS upgrade attempts always resulted
>     in a warning "unable to use any stored monitor configurations" and a
>     blank screen? I used the terminal to get the update manager to offer
>     the dist upgrade, but no joy!
>     Daryl
>
>
> The weekend came early, that is plans changed, and I tried the change
> hostname command, and am baffled with the following result :
>
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ mythconverg_restore.pl
> <http://mythconverg_restore.pl>
> <http://mythconverg_restore.pl>--change_hostname
> --old_hostname="daryl-A780L3C" --new_hostname="TriMyth"
> bash: http://mythconverg_restore.pl: No such file or directory
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$
>
> any ideas?

That's a perl script.  I don't know why it's being treated as http.

I run the backup script from a terminal like this:

  perl /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_backup.pl

But that's in an RHEL6-based installation.

HTH

John








More information about the mythtv-users mailing list