[mythtv-users] Migration Mythbuntu 10.04 to Mythbuntu 12.04 stuck, Need Help

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 4 23:10:40 UTC 2014

> Whoops. Not so fast. The next screen reports that there are other
> clients using this database and they should be shut down before first.
> What other clients? This doesn't mean kill mythbackend, does it? I
> don't think mythfrontend will like it if I shut down the backend.
>
> The command "sudo pgrep -l myth" only lists the frontend and the backend. ????
>
> --
> Craig.

I assume that means any connection to the mythconverg database so could be any other frontends (be it mythtv or xbmc or android or anything else), mythweb (from any device or computer), or really any scripts that you may run that access the database for various reasons.

I will leave it up to the experts to direct you on how to proceed because getting it wrong could be very bad. But my gut feel is that if you are very, very confident that there is nothing that is actively reading or writing to the database, every possible frontend is shut down (other than the one you are using to get to this point) all mythweb pages are closed and you are not running any scripts that may be accessing the database for anything and no recordings are in progress then you should be ok.

Note that here I am assuming that given the frontend is triggering the upgrade that the upgrade code will handle the frontend process that called the upgrade AND that given it is called from a frontend that the upgrade code will handle the backend as well (as like you say the frontend needs a running backend) - but this is a big, big assumption and I wouldn't want you to go ahead with it just on the basis of my assumptions.

Shutting down the database computer (presumably your backend computer) and rebooting while all other frontends / mythwebs / scripts are stopped and running the upgrade before doing anything else might be one way of minimising unwanted connections.

If you are familiar with logging into the database via mysql and connecting to the mythconverg database then SHOW PROCESSLIST; should give you a list of connections and their status.