[mythtv-users] Migration Mythbuntu 10.04 to Mythbuntu 12.04 stuck, Need Help

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 00:30:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 06:44:52 -0500, you wrote:

>>>  So, I think we're on to something.  I was just trying to figure out
>>>how to tell
>>>mythfrontend to use a different theme when I spotted your e-mail.  Before I
>>>start mucking about with uninstalling and installing things, I think I
>>>will first
>>>try to start mythfrontend with "-O theme=Mythbuntu" to see if I get
>>>anywhere with that (since the Mythbuntu theme was being used before I
>>>restored my database).  If that fails, I'll move on to your suggestions.
>>>
>>>Thanks!!!
>>
>> That sounds like a good plan.  I think Mythbuntu is the only builtin
>> theme now - all the others need to be downloaded.  So if your restored
>> database is using any theme other than Mythbuntu, then you do not get
>> to see the question about updating the mythmusic database as that
>> happens before the theme is checked and you are allowed to select one
>> that exists to replace the one that is not installed.  So the best
>> plan for upgrading is to make sure that you start mythfrontend before
>> you restore your old database, and at that point make sure you install
>> the theme that is used in the database to be restored.  Failing that,
>> you can use the "-O theme=Mythbuntu" override from the mythfrontend
>> command line.  I had forgotten about that option as I have never used
>> it.
>
> More data to chew on:
> Tried switching the working Mythbuntu 10.04 system to the Mythbuntu
> theme before making the next backup of the database -- more recordings
> and schedule data updates since yesterday, anyway.  Then I restored
> the 12.04 system from the image I made just before I tried updating
> the database with the 10.04 copy.  I tested the 12.04 system with the
> "empty" database out and I could get in and out of the frontend (as
> always with the empty database) just fine.  I even switched back and
> forth between the Terra theme I've gotten used to and the Mythbuntu
> theme that it defaulted to, starting off.  I got into Mythbuntu
> Control Center and removed the MythMusic plug-in.
>
> When it went to apply that change, it also reported that it was going
> to "fix" my lirc configuration, so I backed up all the lirc related
> configuration files I could find (/etc/lirc/* and ~/.lirc/* and
> ~/.lircrc) before I let it go.  Seems that having to manually
> configure my IguanaIR USB transceiver gets MCC agitated, so I'll have
> to restore the lirc configuration every time I use MCC to change
> something totally unrelated, but I digress...
>
> Then I used this command:
>     mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database \
>     --directory <where I put my backup> \
>     --filename mythconverg-1254-2014...sql.gz

Sorry- I wasn't done yet -- hit the wrong key and it sent the mail out ;-(

Anyway, I got the database updated successfully and could get into the
frontend (yay!).

I even switched the theme back and forth between Terra and Mythbuntu.
No problems.

Then I restored the MythMusic plug-in.  Boo!  The dreaded freeze
returned. I thought maybe it was a problem with a pop-up window by
another user account (e.g. mythtv?) that couldn't open a window
because I (default account) had the xdisplay locked up, so I issued
the command "xhost +" and tried again, but no joy.  I tried sending
the frontend a HUP signal and it responded (in that it made entries in
the log that I was following in another xterm with tail -f
mythfrontend.log).

So the short of it is that when the MythMusic plug-in is installed (as
it is in my 10.04 system) the frontend sees the music schema is
outdated, creates a mysql database backup, reports the backup complete
and ....????  It stops doing anything useful at this point, but it is
not dead.  No display updates (still a blank screen), no pop-ups,
nothing.  I have to kill it to try again.  Anyway, for the gurus in
the crowd, I pasted the whole sorry mythfrontend.log file to pastebin.
 It should be visible from this url:
      http://paste.ubuntu.com/7201131/

I would really appreciate it if someone could get me moving forward
again.  I'm totally sick of this mudhole.

Thanks for helping out.

--
Craig.