[mythtv-users] Migration Mythbuntu 10.04 to Mythbuntu 12.04 stuck, Need Help

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 00:19:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 06:44:52 -0500, you wrote:

>>  So, I think we're on to something.  I was just trying to figure out
>>how to tell
>>mythfrontend to use a different theme when I spotted your e-mail.  Before I
>>start mucking about with uninstalling and installing things, I think I
>>will first
>>try to start mythfrontend with "-O theme=Mythbuntu" to see if I get
>>anywhere with that (since the Mythbuntu theme was being used before I
>>restored my database).  If that fails, I'll move on to your suggestions.
>>
>>Thanks!!!
>
> That sounds like a good plan.  I think Mythbuntu is the only builtin
> theme now - all the others need to be downloaded.  So if your restored
> database is using any theme other than Mythbuntu, then you do not get
> to see the question about updating the mythmusic database as that
> happens before the theme is checked and you are allowed to select one
> that exists to replace the one that is not installed.  So the best
> plan for upgrading is to make sure that you start mythfrontend before
> you restore your old database, and at that point make sure you install
> the theme that is used in the database to be restored.  Failing that,
> you can use the "-O theme=Mythbuntu" override from the mythfrontend
> command line.  I had forgotten about that option as I have never used
> it.

More data to chew on:
Tried switching the working Mythbuntu 10.04 system to the Mythbuntu
theme before making the next backup of the database -- more recordings
and schedule data updates since yesterday, anyway.  Then I restored
the 12.04 system from the image I made just before I tried updating
the database with the 10.04 copy.  I tested the 12.04 system with the
"empty" database out and I could get in and out of the frontend (as
always with the empty database) just fine.  I even switched back and
forth between the Terra theme I've gotten used to and the Mythbuntu
theme that it defaulted to, starting off.  I got into Mythbuntu
Control Center and removed the MythMusic plug-in.

When it went to apply that change, it also reported that it was going
to "fix" my lirc configuration, so I backed up all the lirc related
configuration files I could find (/etc/lirc/* and ~/.lirc/* and
~/.lircrc) before I let it go.  Seems that having to manually
configure my IguanaIR USB transceiver gets MCC agitated, so I'll have
to restore the lirc configuration every time I use MCC to change
something totally unrelated, but I digress...

Then I used this command:
    mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database \
    --directory <where I put my backup> \
    --filename mythconverg-1254-2014...sql.gz