[mythtv-users] Dumb to "Upgrade"... Re: Program Schedules: working or not? How to (re)configure?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 01:55:52 UTC 2013

SSH is simple enough.
ssh username at mythtvbox. Such as:
ssh root at mythcomputer (or whatever the computer name is (assuming hosts
file used or DNS configured), otherwise, it'd be like:
ssh root at 192.168.0.50 (or whatever the IP is).
>From then on, it's all command line stuff.

I always maintain two ssh sessions to my mythtv box and one to my cubox.
Handy to view logs or see a stuck process.
Or, when things go sideways, do a shutdown -r -t 0 now.

Yes, I know the other commands. Old habits die hard.  :)
I go back to when Slackware was new and a lot manual in configuring it.
Then came that whippersnapper, RedHat. Then, I fell in love with SuSE
until Novell screwed it up. Then, Fedora, a few other distros (also used
Debian), now Ubuntu (still getting used to some of the changes). Still
on the 12.04LTS, because it isn't going away soon, I prefer the LTS to
intermediate distros.

Small hint. When updating/upgrading, if it looks like a 30-45 minute
job, plan it for two to three hours. That way if things go off the wire,
you have time to work to fix it. Especially with a mission critical
system like yours is in your house.
Doing something like that in an enterprise would get one rapidly seeking
new employment.  :)
Though, I did have it happen like that once, management ordained an
update be installed during lunch. Advised against it most strongly, was
ordered to do it anyway.
It went south, dropped critical services for three hours. Barely got it
operational by COB and raked in some OT finishing fixing the debacle.
That didn't go so well for one manager that insisted.