[mythtv-users] Blue screen of death. [1st of 2 questions]

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Sep 19 14:14:21 UTC 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:25, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:

> I don't know how to describe my situation other than to borrow the phrase from the Wintel world:
> I occasionally get the "Blue Screen of Death".
>
> Truth be told, it's not entirely blue.  It's mostly sky blue with some white clouds over three areas of the screen.  I hope that makes sense to someone out there, but it's the best description I can provide.

That's nothing I've ever heard of.  Linux doesn't actually have a BSoD, as it has no graphical interface.  All it has is a kernel panic, during which a bunch of gibberish is posted to the primary terminal, and then the system optionally reboots depending on your configuration.  During a kernel panic, you could get caught in X, but then your screen would merely be frozen at whatever was last on screen when you locked up.

If I had to guess, I would say your computer is going into standby, has no wake-on-USB enabled so you have no way of bringing the computer out of standby, and the weird graphics on screen are some form of screensaver built into your TV, and activated when it went without signal for extended duration.  Could you take a picture of this screen?