[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 18 20:17:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:
> On 09/18/2013 03:42 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:
>>>
>>> But at a given bitrate I am becoming more convinced that interlacing is a
>>> good tradeoff.  The loss of resolution with 720 is irreversible whereas
>>> deinterlacing done well can result in a very watchable, and potentially
>>> much
>>> sharper, image.
>>

>> You can scale up an image from 720 to 1080.  The result is no less
>> fake than what you get by deinterlacing.  Going from 1080p to 1080i or
>> 720p both represent irreversible information loss.
>

> Yes, I agree, you can scale an image up (and that is ultimately what happens
> when a 720p is shown full screen on a native 1080 display).
>
> However, I disagree that 1080i represents irreversible information loss.
> With 1080i60 you get two subsequent 540 line images that, when combined,
> result in a full resolution 1080 line image.  If there is no motion in the
> image then no information is lost.

But that's not what happens.

They may use a 1080p/60 camera to shoot the footage, but then they
take half the fields of each frame and create 1080i/60 from it.
Effectively losing 1/2 of each frame.

What your suggesting is that they are creating 1080p/30 but only
transmitting half the image at a time... which would be pointless...
they could transmit 1080p/30 in the same bandwidth at 1080i/60... no
need to interlace it.